Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A sad article.

This is a very sad story. Written by ESPN's Bill Simmons, it chronicles the funeral of, and events leading to the death of, Jamiel Shaw. Shaw was a standout high school running back in California. He was being scouted by D-1A schools like Stanford and Rutgers. He had a bright future ahead of him.

With his mother soon to return from her second tour in Iraq, Shaw lived in Los Angeles with his father. At the age of 17, he was shot twice by gang members, less than a block from his house.

While the gang violence in America pales in comparison to that found in Brasil, or other nations, I still find it reprehensible, and inexcusable. There is no need for it. When it results in the death of a promising young man, like it has here, it becomes all the more tragic. A few days ago, Pedro Espinoza was arrested, and arraigned on Capital Murder charges in response for his alleged role in the shooting.

3 comments:

Cara said...

Very sad :0(

TOPolk said...

I remember reading this story when it first ran. After visiting that part of Cali myself, I could only feel sorrow and pain for this young man and his family. So close to getting out, yet so far away at the same time.

Selerines said...

Hi friend... I am from India. Your blog looks pretty cool and nice. I am interested to share my link with you. Are you interested my friend? Please visit my blog frequently and keep in touch there!!!! I hope you will accept my request. If you are interested, then please comment in my blog. Thank you!!!!